As a sidenote to this entry on Alex's latest bathroom achievements...
No one ever told me that I'd have a totally different reaction to this whole process than I expected. The constant fear of wet floors/carpets? Expected. The never-ending laundry? Expected. The blowout of holding "it" for four days? Expected. The wish to go back to diapers because it was just easier? Expected.
But what about the other stuff? My little boy, looking so grown up and skinny in his tighty whiteys? Not expected. The frequent comment, "Mom, go out. I need some privacy." Not expected. The comment, "Mom, this is so much easier than diapers. Why didn't we do it a long time ago?" Not expected. Already learning to "aim" and wipe the rim because Mom is a bit of a freak when it comes to that kind of mess? Not expected. Chatting with his buddies about having Bumblebee or Anakin on his underwear? Not expected. No longer having a basic daily need being totally dependent on Mommy? Not expected. Feeling sad about the previous, and sentimental about my baby growing up? Not expected.
And thus it is. "... babies grow up, we learn to our sorrow." But one little ray of sunshine? The diaper bill automatically cut in third? Expected, and lovin' it.
No one ever told me that I'd have a totally different reaction to this whole process than I expected. The constant fear of wet floors/carpets? Expected. The never-ending laundry? Expected. The blowout of holding "it" for four days? Expected. The wish to go back to diapers because it was just easier? Expected.
But what about the other stuff? My little boy, looking so grown up and skinny in his tighty whiteys? Not expected. The frequent comment, "Mom, go out. I need some privacy." Not expected. The comment, "Mom, this is so much easier than diapers. Why didn't we do it a long time ago?" Not expected. Already learning to "aim" and wipe the rim because Mom is a bit of a freak when it comes to that kind of mess? Not expected. Chatting with his buddies about having Bumblebee or Anakin on his underwear? Not expected. No longer having a basic daily need being totally dependent on Mommy? Not expected. Feeling sad about the previous, and sentimental about my baby growing up? Not expected.
And thus it is. "... babies grow up, we learn to our sorrow." But one little ray of sunshine? The diaper bill automatically cut in third? Expected, and lovin' it.
6 comments:
I am sooo jealous!!! We started wearing panties today, and although she is doing well...I am still dreading the process. Can't wait to be where you are.
Wow! When will Alex stop growing up. Does he have friends that he plays with yet?
Tiff- you are just so sweet. Isn't is odd how such big and wonderful events can also make us a little sad, because it is the passing of a milestone, never to be passed again. Enjoy those other icky diapers. One day they will try to grow up on you too.
How delightfully funny! What a kid. What a mom to write it up so amuseingly. We're so happy for your success and for Alex's. Now he's really grown up.
Love you, Mom
Just remember.. pull-ups are still fine for a long road trip.
I love how you put your feelings into such perfect words. Your blog is always a delight to read!
Post a Comment