
I want so much for my children to gain testimonies of their own, and to be strong in the gospel. I loved this discussion from the October 2007 Ensign, and I hope you don't mind my posting a bit of it here.
Sister Elaine Dalton of the Young Women general presidency said:
"When I ask youth, 'What's the hardest thing you do?' many say, 'It's going to parties and being offered a drink and not drinking it.' So I ask, 'Why are you at the party?' And they say, "I go to be a good example to others.' Then I always respond, 'You bring your friends to places where they can feel the Spirit. Don't ever walk into places where the Spirit won't go. Avoid them!'"
Sister Julie Beck, formerly of the YW general presidency, then relates:
"Elder Lynn G. Robbins of the Seventy has an analogy. He says that if you're on a non-chocoloate-chip-cookie diet, yet you go into the kitchen just after the cookies have been baked -- it smells delicious and you can picture the chocolate chips melting as you pull the cookie apart -- how long is it going to be before you sample one? How strong are you really? That's resisting - or trying to resist. But if you're on a non-chocolate-chip-cookie diet and you don't go into the kitchen where they're baked and you don't bake them yourself, then you are avoiding temptation. That's easier!"
I hope my boys can avoid temptation, not just resist it. I feel like my responsibility is so great, but the scripture, "Be still and know that I am God," always provides comfort.
Sister Elaine Dalton of the Young Women general presidency said:
"When I ask youth, 'What's the hardest thing you do?' many say, 'It's going to parties and being offered a drink and not drinking it.' So I ask, 'Why are you at the party?' And they say, "I go to be a good example to others.' Then I always respond, 'You bring your friends to places where they can feel the Spirit. Don't ever walk into places where the Spirit won't go. Avoid them!'"
Sister Julie Beck, formerly of the YW general presidency, then relates:
"Elder Lynn G. Robbins of the Seventy has an analogy. He says that if you're on a non-chocoloate-chip-cookie diet, yet you go into the kitchen just after the cookies have been baked -- it smells delicious and you can picture the chocolate chips melting as you pull the cookie apart -- how long is it going to be before you sample one? How strong are you really? That's resisting - or trying to resist. But if you're on a non-chocolate-chip-cookie diet and you don't go into the kitchen where they're baked and you don't bake them yourself, then you are avoiding temptation. That's easier!"
I hope my boys can avoid temptation, not just resist it. I feel like my responsibility is so great, but the scripture, "Be still and know that I am God," always provides comfort.
2 comments:
Love your blog, Tiffany! It's been awhile since we've talked but Jenn always keeps me updated on your life. You have the cutest dang family. I could only hope and pray for such miracles!!!
I feel like a cookie!
ha ha... I know that isn't the point really, it's a neat lesson to use for the kids when they get older though... so true. Why set ourselves up for failure when we should be putting ourselves in positions where we can achieve success.
Post a Comment