It was just supposed to be a simple trip to the store.
I got everyone fed, wiped three mouths and six hands. I cleaned the peas and smashed bananas, got babies out of the high chair, and quickly packed a little diaper bag. I found my shoes, purse and keys and ran them out to the car with the bag. I forced my way back into the house from the garage as two little bodies pressed on the door from the other side, crying that mom was out of sight. I grabbed one baby, ordered the 3-yr old to find his crocs, and took the first child out to strap him up. The 3-yr old was close behind, climbing into his seat. I got those two strapped in, came back for number three, and smelled his stinky diaper. I made a lightning change and ran him out to join his brothers who were both crying now because I was, once again, out of sight. I then grabbed two bags with their respective receipts so I could make some returns. I searched high-and-low for a third receipt, but couldn't find it, so I decided to head out. I made a quick inventory check, making sure I had binkies, cloths (their "lovies"), sippy cups for all, and the necessary double stroller. I climbed into the minivan, running through my to-do list in my head. As I backed out of the driveway, it happened.
Crunch.
Are you kidding me? nope. crunch.
Drats.
I pulled over, got out of the van and slowly walked across the street to let the construction guys at the house across the street know that I just hit their truck. Once again, kids were crying as mom was out of sight. Mom was crying because Dad just found the car insurance bill three days prior hidden at the bottom of a pile of paper rubble. Expired. Lapsed. NO car insurance.
Much self-berating occurred as I ran to finish my errands. A few more tears were shed when we got home: babies because they were tired, 3-yr old because he wanted a kid show, and mom because she's a total space cadet.
5:30 p.m., husband brings home flowers because I had a bad Monday. Ahhh.
6:30 p.m. I go to meet some of my dearest friends in this world. After 4 hours of talking, laughing and catching up I conclude:
This wasn't such a bad Monday. I can't say I'll agree when I fork over the money for car repairs... but until then... c'est la vie.
6 comments:
NOTHING is simple with lots of little ones!!
At least you got flowers... :)
I'm so sorry. I hope the rest of your week goes better. Flowers were a good idea. It's always great to catch up with old friends. :)
Sorry to hear about the crunch! Sweet of Mark to bring flowers. I must say the house across the street is looking 100 times better!
Tiffy - that really stinks! But to be honest, I'm glad I'm not the only one that has hit a parked car when backing out of the driveway. But in my case it was my mom's and I didn't have the excuse of having kids in the car. I was just in a hurry and wasn't paying attention. Was the van damaged? Kudos to Mark for bringing flowers. I told Danny about it and hoped that he recognized that if I have a really bad day he could bring me flowers (I probably ought to just come right out and say it and not hope he got the idea :)!)
Hey consider yourself lucky! The first time I hit another car (post children) was because I was so exhaused dealing with two kids. When I finally got home I realized it was the kind of exhaustion that comes with being pregnant! Yeah that's how I found out that #3 was on the way! Syd was only 9 mo old. You aren't are you? ;) Love Tamara
Tif - you really should be a writer. Like another Erma Bombeck. She was before your time, I guess. Anyway, you make lemons out of lemonade when you write about every day life. Keep things coming on the blog. We love it! Love all of you! Mom & Dad
Post a Comment