Saturday, September 12, 2009

First Day of School

September 8th was Alex's first day of preschool. The crying started a week ago. My poor, highly anxious little boy was not excited. By the morning the crying had turned to anger. "You can't make me go! I'll run away first! I don't want to go to school!"

After I chased him around the house and carried him, kicking and screaming, to the car, he gave in and wimpered the whole way there. He finally said, "But mom, I don't know what Miss Martha's voice sounds like." Then the crocodile tears started. Man... breaks my heart to make him so uncomfortable. But, I know that he needs to be stretched to learn and grow. So tears or not... he was going to school.


He managed to fake a smile long enough for a quick picture, then he stood at her window in tears and waved goodbye to mama.


Of course he was fine, and when I returned to pick him up he said, "You're here already? I don't want to go home!" But the shenanigans continued for the next couple of days.


I guess a part of me is glad that he loves and misses his mommy. Another part of me wishes he was an independent kid that wasn't so fearful. But, he's improved leaps and bounds from a year ago and I know he'll just continue to improve. I'm kind of tearful that someone else gets to spend so much time with my little boy. I want him under my roof, in my arms where I know he's safe and loved. sigh... My baby is growing up, and I'm not quite ready!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Loved this post...and I totally understand the wanting to keep them safe in your home and arms. I realize how selfish I want to be with Gracie's childhood. I don't want to miss anything. Glad he is doing well at preschool though.