Saturday, July 5, 2008

Night of contradictions

After a looooong day parading, playing, eating and more playing, Alex and I headed home from Kaysville last night. It was late and that kid was tired. (biggest understatement of all time...)

Our car ride went something like this:

Alex: (whining) "Mommm... I don't want to go home!" Me: "But it's late, and you're tired. We'll go back another day.

Alex: (whining) "Mommm...I want to go home." Me: "We're driving home right now." Alex: (whining) "But mommmm... I DON'T want to go home." Me: "Sorry."

Alex: (whining) "Mommmm... I don't want to go on the freeway. It's too loud!" Me: "Sorry, bud. It's the fastest way to get home." Alex: (whining) "But mommmm....I don't want to go home. And I DO want to go on the freeway."

Alex: (whining - catching a theme here?) "Mommmm... DO something!" Me: "Like what? Do you want me to tell you a story, or sing a song?" Alex: (just assume he's whining, because he was) "Sing me a song!" Me: "Okay." Start a song... Alex: "No, mom! Not that one!" So I start another. Alex: "Not that one either, mommmm!" This continued for 3 or 4 songs, until... Me: "Alex, I'm just gonna be quiet now and not sing any more songs."

Alex: "But mommmm! DO something!" Me: "Want me to sing again?" Alex: "Yes." I sing. Alex: "Mommmm, STOP singing!" Me: "Whatever..."

Me: (trying to distract) "Look, bud! There's Daddy's work." Alex: "Where, mom? Where? I can't see? Where? WHERE?" Me: "Right out your window, see?" Alex: "BUT MOMMMM, I DON'T WANT TO SEE DAD'S WORK!" Me: Roll my eyes.

Alex: "Mommm... I'm tired." Me: "Go to sleep, buddy." Alex: "But I'm NOT tired, mom! I don't want to."

Alex: "Mommm... I want my jammies." Me: "We'll put them on as soon as we get home." Alex: "But I want them RIGHT NOW." Me: "Sorry, I didn't bring them with me." Alex: "But I don't want my jammies." Me: sigh.

We finally get home, and I'm putting his jammies on. He's in a full-on meltdown at this point. Alex: "I want DAD to put my arms through the holes!" So I go get Dad. Daddy comes in and Alex says, "I want MOM to put my arms through the holes!"

This scenario proceeds with stories and prayers. "Mom. No, Dad. No, Mom." etc.

I'm the final candidate for prayers and snuggle time, and the poor, exhausted kid still will not let up on his night full of the terrible threes contradictions and power struggles. Alex: "Mom, tickle my back." Me: "Okay." Alex: "No, mommm... under my shirt." okay. "No, mommmmm! Stop tickling my back!" Me: grrrrr....

And finally, Alex: "Leave my door open." Me: "Okay, but you have to stop crying so you won't wake up the babies." As I get up to open it, Alex: "NO MOM. Leave it shut!" Me: "Okay, whatever you want, your highness." Alex: "Mom! Open it!" Me: "For real?" Alex: "No. Not now, after you snuggle." Me: "Okay..."

Needless to say... loooong evening. (and even longer post... sorry!) I was a bit worried to see what kind of terrible creature would emerge from his bedroom this morning, but it was my happy cheerful Alex, full of grins, giggles and good-morning hugs. Phew! We survived a long night.

6 comments:

Becker Family said...

I can totally relate. John (did you guess?) does the same thing. I'm glad Alex was back to his happy self this morning. :)
Beckee

Anonymous said...

One tired boy - wore himself out having so much fun! Grandma

Jodi said...

Tiff, Your blog is so dang cute. I love your wallpaper. Where did you find it? I need to dress my blog up a bit but, I am new at this and have no idea how to do it.

Camille said...

This was so funny, that 3 year old stage is crazy sometimes. I've been gone for two weeks so I'm just now catching up on your blog. Your nightmare with everyone being sick sounds awful. I'm glad you are all better now. Lagoon brings back such memories.... I thought your post about Mark was so sweet. I still can't believe that we've never met, but he seems like such a great guy and a wonderful daddy. I hope he had a nice birthday.

Emily said...

okay so it isn't just my kid that does this! My daughter is all about contradicting herself. How are you? We need to get together. I will email you.....

Becky said...

Every mom is sighing and nodding her head in understanding and sympathy. Truth be told, we are also kinda glad to hear that there are others who have nights like this.