Saturday, July 19, 2008

We've only just begun...

circa 1970's, Karen Carpenter..."We've only just begun..." to fight! And man-oh-man, it's getting great already!

Jackson, the little smarty pants, has learned how to push big-brother Alex's buttons. And push he does -- multiple times daily. His tactic of choice? A big, open mouthed, roar/scream. (can't think of any other way to describe the most annoying sound in the world!) Jackson will be sitting quietly, minding his own business until Alex walks in the room. Then, he walks up to him, and in Alex's face let's out the loudest "aaaaahhhhhggggggrrrr" sound ever. He does it over and over again.

Poor Alex, who's always been sensitive to noise, (ex., "Mom, stop driving on the freeway! It's too noisy!) absolutely goes bonkers! He reacts by whining, then he just goes for the all-0ut blow to Jackson's face. When that makes the annoying sound come even louder and more frequently, Alex just covers his ears and starts crying, "Make him stop! Make him stop!" (a few strategic blows to Jackson's head seem to work their way in there again.)

I feel so bad, because how do you tell an almost 15-month-old child who understands a dozen words to stop making that aggravating sound and leave his brother (and mother!) alone? Yah, ya don't. And my art of distraction that I was so good about with the first child? Well, I've totally lost the touch. I don't distract now, I just say, "Jackson, stop it right this instance!" As if he understands... ha. I even get the stern, mean voice, but that little stinker just looks at me and laughs. The nerve... *sigh*

So today, I'm loading the kiddos in the car, and Alex and Jackson are in there first. As I go back inside to get AJ, Jackson starts up with his I-know-this-really-bugs-Alex-and-gets-me-some-nice-reactions-and-attention scream. When I came back out, Alex said to me, near tears, "Mom, can we get rid of Jackson? I don't want him anymore." heh heh...

Yep, folks. I fear this is just the beginning of some fun fightin' years. Here we go...

4 comments:

♥Shally said...

oh yes... the joy of twins!! :)

At least you don't have little girls with the HIGH pitched shrieks.

Ugh...

Anonymous said...

Too bad it's not as funny in reality as it is on paper. Sorry I can't give you any pointers. Distraction seems the only way, but what is a good distraction? Good luck, mother of twins and a 3 year old! Still can't believe it! Mom

Marni Bown said...

Tiff, so Em has got me blogging and she is so hooked up and in touch with everyone. It's so cute to see your family. I can't believe how big the twins are now. Was it that long ago I saw you? Anyway, good to see your cute family. You are adorable.

Sherine said...

Oh tiff... some days I was ready to pulll the chute with just one 15 month old.....