Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lagoon...

Ahhh, the memories.

Last night I was driving home from Lagoon at 10:45 p.m. The roads were fairly quiet, and the car was even quieter. Alex was fast asleep in the backseat, lulled by the steady hum from the tires on the freeway. He was sticky, dirty, and completely satisfied.

My mind couldn't help but wander back to the days when I was that kid in the backseat, exhausted from a hot, sweaty, fun-filled day on rides with loud engines and even louder music. I remember having so much fun at Lagoon on my dad's work-sponsored day. I loved all the rides and always had a blast. (I couldn't understand how my parents would rather wait for us in the shade rather than go on those rides, but it's all coming clear now. I guess the equilibrium's not quite what it used to be.) I was usually with my parents and my brother, and it was a day I was always glad to be with my family. One of my fondest memories was eating KFC (like I said here, eating out didn't happen very often) and waiting for the drawing that my dad's company sponsored to see how much cash my dad would win. If we could score $20 or more, then I knew we were in for a delicious ice-cream treat at the end of the long, hot day.

And so it was last night. Alex was exhausted - even as he mumbled in his half-conscious state, "one more ride, please?" - and we had to get that coveted ice cream cone just before leaving the park. He licked and licked until his little tummy could take no more. Then he begged to be held as we made the long walk out to the car that was parked in Lagoon Siberia. The sky was dark, the lights behind us glowed as we walked further away from the muffled screams, laughs, roars and music that blanketed the night behind us.

As I held my little boy in my arms, his head resting on my shoulder, I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming love and appreciation for him and my role as his mother. I want to give him every experience that I can, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant. I want to create little traditions for him that he can look back on with fondness and a smile. I want to give him days that are so full of fun that they end in utter exhaustion. I want him to cuddle up in the back seat of the car, secure in knowing that his mommy is right there to love him and take care of him as he drifts off to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! What a choice mommy. What a choice boy. Your narration brought a lump in the throat to your dad and I. Keep on writing. Love you, Mom & Dad